Opportunity and a Huge Paycut


Last month I was offered, for the first time in my adult life, a full-time, 9-5, position with benefits. I didn't say yes right away. When I heard how much they wanted to start me at (because "all entry levels positions start at 35k") I balked. That's poverty-level. That's ridiculous. I'm actually offended. I told them I would have to call back, I needed a moment, I wasn't sure if that was possible for me.

I said yes of course. I couldn't keep on bartending, hoping that my freelance income would eventually overtake my tips. I was tired, my back was fucked up, my neck was fucked up, my sleeping schedule was fucked up, and even though it's been wonderful to see the progress I've made financially albeit modest, the physical toll...

And let's consider the future. It's going to be difficult for the first three years. But the career track moves quickly (from what I've seen of postings for the next level in the department's hierarchy) and three years later I could be looking at an Associate position, in 6 years I could be a Director... I could defect to an agency if I have the clients and start making commission. It's a future with options. And for now, benefits, because I really need to see all the doctors.

I SAY THIS NOW because in order to say "yes" I had to really dip into savings. I didn't get my first paycheck until today.

Debts


Jan. March
Visa Credit Card $2645 $3177
AMEX Gold Card $2875 $2725
Loan From Parents $1300 $1300
Fedloan* 138165 138731

*not included in total paid down. I may never pay this down.

TOTAL PAID DOWN: -$382

Assets
Jan. March
Individual Brokerage $1857 $1167
Acorns $1140 $1446

TOTAL SAVED: -$384


I need, before the year gets longer, to find more freelance work. My goals in January still stand, and though I haven't been able to make much headway on my debt, it's such a relief to not have to depend on tips anymore.

Truly amazed how much student debt I took on to be only now finding a position in media. At such an incredibly low salary. So many things I would have done differently.

Young readers: don't do American university, don't do it! Apply to universities in more developed countries, for real. 

-James

Comments

Popular Posts